Tuesday, November 12, 2013

New York: A Creative City?

New York.

It's not somewhere I've ever wanted to go. I'm just not a fan of big cities, I'd rather go see nature than sky scrapers. But then the study tour came up, an excuse to finally get myself overseas, and a great way to cap my degree. Let's do this.

So what IS a creative city?

To me it's a city that inspires and breeds creativity. Surely there can be no denying it; if any city is a creative city, it's New York.

Billy Joel was in a New York state of mind. If Frank Sinatra could make it there, he could make it anywhere. Adam Duritz was hanging out in a bar with Mr Jones in New York when they met a black haired flamenco dancer. The lads from Rancid were hanging on the corner of 52nd and Broadway. A quick search on Wikipedia reveals hundreds, possibly thousands of songs about New York.

There are countless galleries and museums, Broadway shows, off Broadway shows. People come from all over the world so they too can 'make it' in New York.

The trip is a week away now, and I'm getting excited, plotting out the itinerary into my calendar. MoMA, Guggenheim, P21, Metropolitan Museum, all places I'm keen to see. Actually seeing a lot of the art work i've read about will be great. I'm going to have to add in a visit to the Museum of Natural History, and definitely catching a Broadway show. Book of Mormon here i come!



I definitely want to get along and find the places mentioned in songs I like. 52nd and Broadway, Washington Square, New Amsterdam, and heck, just about every place mentioned in a Billy Joel song. There may be touristy selfies.

Greek food. I'm told you pretty much can't get bad food in New York, because they'll go out of business too quick, so i'm keen to try some great food, but Greek is my favourite and I want to see what they've got.

In the spare time I have there, I have no idea what I want to do! Possibly take a trip outside of the city, maybe hire a car. I'm hoping to figure that out before I go, but I think it will be good to explore and just find things i'm interested in. I don't want to follow the guide book everyone else follows. I need to discover New York for myself.



1 comment:

  1. Have all the fun that you can! I'd be very interested to read your posts on food that you're having there ;) Well, what can I say? I'm a foodie. Or you can tell me where I can find eligible bachelors in NYC. Haha.

    ReplyDelete